In the summer of 2019, we bought a van from a bankrupt construction company under the banner 'we do something crazy' and converted it into a cozy 'campervan' to travel with on weekends and holidays. Since it had a Kangaroo on the body, the name Skippy was quickly given for our Ford Transit. After a lot of time, thought and research we came up -for us- an ideal layout in which light, cosiness and space prevail. At every step of the conversion, we tried to make the most sustainable choice.
At the end of May 2020 it was completely ready and we already experienced some 'camping life' moments in our own garden. Since June we have been doing some nice trips in the contours of our own country. Always bring your own 'house' (where your cold beer is ready 😉).
Last summer (late July, early August) we went on a 3-week trip in nature completely 'off-grid' with Skippy. In between our trips, we find it a shame to leave Skippy in the garden all this time. After all, it was made for getting out and about and we would like to share this experience with others. That's how we ended up at Goboony.
In short, Skippy is the perfect companion for a trip in your own country or for a trip in and through Europe. It gives you the ultimate feeling of freedom in a fun setting including the necessary luxury 😉. On top of that, he is a safe traveling companion in these corona times.
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT SKIPPY:
- We consciously opted for a layout that creates a spacious feeling for the interior design. Even when all doors are closed, there is a lot of light inside.
- We love to give things a new and / or second life. The curtains and seat cushions are therefore handmade from 'remnants' fabric.
- The living space is furnished with a long sofa (where, according to the inspection, you can sit with 5 and lounge comfortably with two (storage space is provided underneath). On the roof we have created a roof terrace where you can lie / sit with two present).
- The kitchen is equipped with a removable table for 2 people, 2-burner built-in gas fire, tap operated by on / off submersible pump and sink, 20 liter compressor refrigerator and extendable worktop. A total of 57 liters of clean water can be carried (3 bottles).
- The passenger seat is equipped with a swivel seat and can therefore be swiveled backwards in the cabin.
- Cooking utensils (gas toaster, wok pan, pan, cooking pot, electric kettle, cutting knife, cutting board, bialetti and corkscrew) and crockery (cutlery, plates, bowls, glasses and bags) are provided. You can also find a sponge, washing-up liquid, brush to keep the inside clean.
- We thought that sleeping comfortably (stretched out) was the most important thing, so we opted for a spacious bed measuring 160 cm by 200 cm with Tempur mattresses. Above the bed there is also a skylight with a fan that can draw in or extract air.
- Inside there is plenty of storage space (under the sofa + above driver / passenger) and under the large bed you will find a large storage space. Here is room for 2 bicycles (with fixed bicycle holders). The gas bottle and the 2 folding camping chairs are also under the bed.
- Nothing like your own toilet! Skippy has a Porta Potti. We rinse with our own mixture of vinegar, water and ecological detergent. We provide this. We do ask you to empty the toilet before saying goodbye.
- You can shower outside with the help of a solar shower (20 liters).
- Because Skippy doesn't look like an everyday camper, you can easily camp wild / incognito.
- There is a solar panel on the roof and Skippy is equipped with an extra battery so you can go on holiday off-grid (sufficient USB connections are provided).
- There is a reversing camera available.
- Skippy has a EURO4 (watch out for LEZ zones), 2.4L engine with 140 HP so no problem for mountains. On our trips it consumed just under 10L / 100KM.
** WINTERPROOF **
-We have invested in good insulation so you are in the right place in terms of protection against heat or cold (Rock wool + -5cm & bubble wrap all around).
- There is a 5kw diesel heating that is connected to the tank. This makes it cozy warm inside.
- In the back there is more than enough space to store (possible) wet clothes / shoes.
What else do you need yourself?
- To provide yourself: clothing, food, bicycles, toilet paper, toiletry + towels, kitchen towels, bottom sheet and a down blanket with cover or sleeping bags.
Our tips: bring one drinking bottle per person (very handy!) And remember to shower outside, so use ecological shampoo / soap.
- You can park your car with us when you pick it up.
For further questions you can always send us a message here or via Instagram: skippy.the.van. :)